Monday, 28 May 2012

Callum's birth story...

I really need to get this down in writing so I dont forget one tiny, amazing moment of it...

My waters broke at 4.30am on 27th April, the pop actually woke me and I literally levitated out of the bed immediately and miraculously never got a drop on the bed! lol
I had had some strange baby movements that night and a strange water swishing sound coming from my bump when lying on one side, I couldnt sleep well either so wasnt in a deep sleep when they broke. We got really excited and sat chatting while I rocked on my birth ball for an hour or so, I had only a few tightenings in that time so decided it would be best to rest now before labour properly started. I woke about 6.30am with a strong contraction, another about 5 mins later. Lying on my side helped so I lay there until 7.30am when they were getting a bit more intense so went to call the midwives and steves sister sandra. The midwife and sandra both arrived about 8.30am, contractions were still 5 mins apart but I was feeling a bit anxious with the kids leaving for school, the pool being set up, midwife checks and answering questions - this slowed them a bit and I felt like a rabbit in headlights. I just wanted to escape to my bedroom and get into my own little bubble. By 10am the contractions were much less intense so I sent the midwife away until they were back on track. I went upstairs on my own, did some hypnobirthing breathing and visualisations and got back in the zone, I even managed to sleep for a few hours.
By 2.30pm they were back to 5 mins and quite intense, I paced around the house, the kids came home, Ben and Fraser both wanted to go to Uncle paul's but Jamie was adamant he was staying and helping mummy get the baby out <3 

By 4.30pm I felt ready to go in the pool, the midwife popped in about 5pm to check baby and was planning on leaving and waiting for a phone call but once she saw me she decided baby was imminent and she would stay. The contractions became really intense once I got into the water, the kids had left and I was able to relax and let things happen. Jamie was still by my side though :)
I laboured in the water using hypnobirthing and listening to music to help me relax. at about 6.45pm my mp4 player stopped working and hypnobirthing was more difficult to maintain after that. The contractions were really intense and on top of each other at this stage, I felt a lot of pressure and the second midwife and midwifery student I had agreed could be present, were called. Jamie was by my side throughout, holding my hand, telling me how well I was doing and reminding me to breathe :)

At 7.50pm I was pushing. I felt his head descend a bit and then after each contraction it would pop back up to its high position again. It was so frustrating and tiring and I felt he wasnt in a great position. After 40 minutes of pushing I knew his head wasnt in the best position but he was almost there so I pushed like I have never pushed before, I reached down and felt his head crown and then emerge into my hands, I turned onto my back and his body slid out into daddy's waiting arms, the midwife helped unwrap the cord from his neck, I heard Jamie let out a little squeal of astonishment and excitement as he emerged from the water and Steve placed him on my chest and checked for a willy lol

I am sure you all know that rush when your baby is born, the first moment you look into their little face and you are flooded with all the love in the universe for this tiny person. Words cannot describe that awesome, amazing feeling. I held him close, closed my eyes and breathed in every bit of that moment. I replay it in my head every day...

Jamie held the cord until it stopped pulsating, we lay there in the water with daddy and jamie touching baby, the room was quiet and calm, everyone sat back and let us bond and enjoy our first meeting.
Ben and Fraser came home to meet their brother whilst the midwives helped steve clean up. Fraser jumped up next to me on the couch and I breastfed him and his new brother whilst sandra made me toast and tea. The midwives checked Callum over while jamie got his toy hulk checked at the same time :) everyone eventually went home, kids went to bed and steve tucked Callum and I into bed skin to skin <3 blissfully perfect :)

Homebirthing was the best thing i have ever done, I have had 3 wonderful waterbirths in hospital, but having my baby at home with my little boy holding my hand, tandem feeding my boys on the couch after birth and snuggling into my own bed with my baby was just the best feeling ever. I am so proud of myself, our bodies are awesome, we should trust them more! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment