Thursday 8 March 2012

lesson learnt from little people :)

A few things have inspired this blog post - my blog isnt massively active so I do need a bit of inspiration to write. I often just write down things I want to remember, lessons I dont want to forget when life gets in the way. This is one of those things...
Today I read this blog - http://www.themobsociety.com/2012/03/mommy-come-play/ I am sure it will ring true with so many parents. Its easy to forget whats important when you have so much responsibilty. As I was reading it, a conversation with my sister in law echoed in my ears. Her boys are 16 and 13. she was feeling sad because they were becoming so independent. They are staying over at friends at the weekend, they go out after school, her oldest is going to parties and although she was sad, she was accepting and trusting. They have an amazing bond and a great relationship. I remember when they were little, the age my boys are just now probably. It doesnt seem that long ago, and here they are - young men! It scared me a bit. We dont realise how quickly this time passes. we take for granted that our children will always want to play - what about when they are not children anymore?

Yesterday I had a huge laundry pile to do, socks to pair, dishes overtaking my kitchen and floors to clean - instead, we made a tent in the living room and played in it for ages :)
I asked my husband if he always read our boys a story at night when he did bed time, he said no. He would most times but not all the time. I gently reminded him that soon our boys wont want a story for bedtime! Soon our boys will be grown and we will miss story times. We used to speak excitedly about all the things we would do with our children, before our first baby was born we bought story books and read them to bump, we couldnt wait until he could ask us for a story and enjoy it with us, or until we could sit while he read his books to us. We are living that moment that we once dreamed about and we are letting it pass us by! We now read stories every night - even if bedtime is late or we have lots to do. we read each of our 3 boys a story and we spend time with each of them before they go to sleep. Soon they will be teenagers and young men, we will be sitting waiting on them coming in or asking them to put the lights off when they finally come up to bed. I am glad we are realising this now!

PS - 33 weeks pregnant this week and prepared for a baby coming - another little leg to our journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment